Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Life is Simpler Now, The Star, 27 March 2007

Original article

Read ur featured article on above subject with interest. Glad u wrote abt it cos I share ur feelings on the matter re change in a slower pace less well paid lifestyle yet become the object of envy and sometimes ridicule.

However, I'm not as lucky as u cos I did try apply for a writer job with a local mag but was discouraged by the interviewer :- " we dont and cant pay much" (I stressed I was very willing to settle for little etc.!), "u wont enjoy the work", "u cant handle it" etc. etc.

Yes, I do so enjoy writing, reading, sharing and earning with others on most topics under the sun!

All the very best to you Alexandra - do keep up with ur writing!

Elly Cheong, Penang

...

I read your article and I think you've made the right decision. It really is nice to live the way you get to. As long as you earn enough for your needs, it's alright to be a freelancer.

I work full time and how I wish I could be my own boss and have a flexi schedule. Yes, it's nice to see the sun. I only began to appreciate simple things like that since I started working last year and had less time for these simple pleasures of life which I had taken for granted. I often read your articles. They're interesting. Actually, I like to write, but am not really good at it yet. If you don't mind, could you tell me how you get to become a freelance writer?
All the best to you, and may you one day get "fat cheques drop in your lap magically every month".

Fiona, Penang


...

I think you are a bit of both.

However, the bottom line is still whether you will be able to live comfortably (financially) 20 or 30 years down the road? You do have to look that far into your future because that time will come evetually whether you like it or not. So it is important to evaluate your present situation and if you think that it will still be ok 20 or 30 years down the road then why not.......continue doing what you are happy doing now. My 20 sen worth of personal opinion

LT Seet, Pahang


...

I am 100% with you on this. Nevertheless, we have to accept the fact that it is not a concept or rather a way of life that's readily accepted/digested by our materialistic society of today. IMHO it's the individual fulfillment that matter most. It's such a simple thing and yet not easy to obtain.

Azizan Khalili, Klang


...

I think we should go back to the basic. But how many of us can really do this?? I was workaholic 12 years ago, I had a full time job with a good income, yet I was not satisfied, so I did freelance job as side income. One day I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, since then my lifestyle totally changed, I stopped using perfume, I stopped carrying branded bag, I valued the time I spend with my family... and I worked as a part timer for almost 9 years. After reading your article, I felt good. At least someone out there willing to give up a high flyer job and back to simple lifestyle.

Sandy Gan, Klang Valley

No comments: